« Home | Check 'NetteRadio » | Facebooking for Musicians eClass » | Forte Notation Software » | GoGirls Interview with Sarah Montes » | What Would You Do...? » | FREE Teleseminar: "The Ins & Outs of Facebook and ... » | Twitter Goes To The Operating Room! » | Sharing Your Information on Facebook and Other Soc... » | Motivation will almost always beat mere talent! » | Need help with your Myspace? Want to learn more ab... » 

Friday, March 27, 2009 

Social Networking Your Way To Music Success

by Madalyn Sklar



We all know Social Networks have become quite popular and even necessary to help increase your fanbase. The music business has become a leveled playing field now thanks to sites like Myspace, Facebook and Twitter.

So today I ask you... are you utilizing social networks to your advantage?

Here is my list of SocNets:



I blog regularly, stay in touch with friends on Facebook, let people know what I'm up to on Twitter, make new friends and contacts on Facebook and LinkedIn, and show off my videos on YouTube.

What about you?

Musicians ask me all the time, "why should I blog or Twitter?" I tell them that yes, believe it or not, your fans are interested in knowing what you are up to. They want to feel connected to you and your music by getting the 411 on what you're working on, where you are at, what you like/dislike. I know, sounds like an invasion of privacy. But I'm here to tell you that social networks can and will bring your fans closer to you. If done right, it will get more people out to your shows, increase music sales and help you build a street team. It will help you gain industry contacts in all area.

But first you must get your social networks up and running. Learn how to use them. Strategize. Plan. Conquer.

So again I ask you... are you utilizing social networks to your advantage? I'd love your comments.

Copyright © 2009 Madalyn Sklar, IndieMusicCoach.com

Madalyn Sklar is a music business coach & consultant, blogger, social networks expert and author. She has spent over 13 years helping independent musicians and music business professionals achieve greater success. Her motto is: working smarter not harder. She also founded GoGirlsMusic.com, the oldest + largest online community of indie women musicians.

Madalyn's Sites:
GoGirlsMusic.com
Social Networks for Musicians

Follow Madalyn @ Twitter / Facebook / LinkedIn

I love Twitter. Have used Myspace for several years. And now am using Facebook to connect with fans. And yes, I used to think no one would read my blogs, but after I started blogging and posting, I found that in fact, people do read them. Thanks Madalyn!
Anne-Marie
green bracelet

I'm not using any very effectively and I know it. Thanks for the nudges and pokes. :-)
Molly

Hey Anne-Marie, it is interesting that once you start blogging and/or twittering, people will take notice. I've been blogging here since 2000. I used to think the same thing... no one reads what I write. Wrong! Same on Twitter. People re-tweet my posts all the time. That translates to them being read.

Hey Molly, if you need help let me know. That is why I started SN4M at www.sn4m.com. I love helping people better use social networks.

I'm addicted to Twitter, and actually got quite a few pre-orders for my new recording project by "tweeting" about it! :)

I use myspace, facebook, twitter, youtube, and I blog. But I have no idea if it's all working to help my music career. I released my CD in February, so it might be too early to tell.

One thing that seemed to have created some good buzz is The Great Blog Off, which my friends and I started. People join the facebook group and vote for their favorite blogger, which means they should theoretically be reading our blogs. I think I've made at least a few new fans through this so far.

Post a Comment

SUBSCRIBE

WHO IS MADALYN SKLAR?


    Madalyn Sklar is a music business coach & consultant, blogger, social networks expert and author. She has spent over 15 years helping independent musicians and music business professionals achieve greater success. Her motto is: working smarter not harder. She also founded GoGirlsMusic.com, the oldest + largest online community of indie women musicians.

    Madalyn's Sites:
    * GoGirlsMusic.com
    * Social Networks for Musicians
    contact: madalynsklar(at)gmail.com

         

    Get interviewed on this blog for just $50

    HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

    Learn it all.

    HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

    Check out my YouTube video:

    www.flickr.com
    GoGirlsMusic.com's items Go to Madalyn's photostream

REPRINT ARTICLES

    Click here if you would like to post articles and information from this blog to your blog or web site.

Previous posts

BLOGS I READ:

Madalyn's Blog
P.O. Box 16940
Sugar Land, TX 77496-6940

Copyright © 2000-2009 Madalyn's Music Biz Blog. All rights reserved.

This blog is designed to provide reliable information regarding the subject matter covered.
The authors disclaim any liability that incurs from the use of any information contained in this blog.