« Home | GoGirls Go To Kerrville Folk Festival - Day 1 (Fri... » | The 7.5 Things You Need NOW for Social Network Suc... » | GoGirls Interview with Deborah E » | ASCAP Expo 2010 Highlights » | My interview with WeDontNeedNoStinkingRecordCompan... » | Twitter Wow! » | 7 Ways to Boost Your Business, or How to Ask to Ge... » | GoGirls Interview with Inky Glass » | Myspace Is (Still) Not Dead and Facebook Rocks! » | "Invasion of the GoGirls" During SXSW Weekend » 

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 

GoGirls Interview with Eleanor Kleiner of The Whispering Tree

by Madalyn Sklar



What drives your music? When did you first know you had to do this thing called music or bust?

I think I'm driven mainly by the desire to communicate. I always knew I wanted to make music, I remember being four or five years old and making up songs and stories to go along with games I was playing. It was the most natural thing in the world, I think it is for most kids. I was just lucky enough to hold on to it and never have anyone (who matters) tell me that I couldn't do it.

Describe your music style and name three musicians you have been inspired by and why.

My musical style falls somewhere in the category of folk/rock. It's melodic and moody, a little on the dark side. It's hard to just pick three artists, but I would say The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Leonard Cohen have all been really inspiring to me. I grew up listening to the Beatles, they just wrote great songs and tapped into something that everyone recognizes and continues to celebrate. I've also been really inspired by Pink Floyd, they made such distinctive music and it evokes something really specific and awesome. I'm still discovering Leonard Cohen and I'm consistently blown away by his ability to see and communicate so clearly - there's something divine about that kind of talent.

What's your ideal venue atmosphere?

I like a place where people come to really listen. Being able to hear myself helps also...I'm pretty easy going.

Describe how your music career has evolved since you first started performing.

I found my musical soul mate about five years ago and formed The Whispering Tree, which definitely helped me evolve as a performer and writer. Combining forces with someone who has a similar vision and who is so compatible has made everything flow so much easier. I think I have also moved out of my head a lot when it comes to performing, with every show it gets easier and easier to be in the moment on stage and to let go of my ego.

How would you describe the music scene in your area?

Bountiful. New York City is overflowing with talent, which is awesome. You can walk into an empty bar and stumble upon phenomenal talent and you can find so many amazing artists to work with.

What was the inspiration for your latest release?

The songs on this release span an amazing five year period of my life. There are songs from the earliest days of The Whispering Tree and there is a song that was completed a couple of weeks before the album was recorded, I think this makes every song really specific. There are songs about life, death, love, mystery, obsessive compulsive disorder, corrupt leaders, consumerism - all inspired by the life experiences that have led me to this point.

What do you think is number one for a musician to think about before preparing for a CD project and do you have any tips on saving time in the studio?

I think the most important thing is to make sure you're working with people that you are comfortable with, people who you can easily communicate ideas to and people who have a clear understanding of your vision.

What makes or breaks a musician just starting out in your opinion?

I don't think anyone can really make or break anyone else, its all about your own desire and willingness to succeed, or your lack of it.

Describe your toughest moments in your quest for a music career and tell us how you overcame them.

The biggest obstacle for me was a crippling stage fright which started after a fluke panic attack during a solo in seventh grade. For years afterward I was absolutely terrified of performing, to the point that my voice was audibly shaking and I could hardly sing. As horrifying as the prospect of performing was, for some reason I still wanted to be a performer. It was something I was deeply compelled to do, so at some point I really just said "f*%ck it" and decided to let myself be uncomfortable, let my voice shake and let my heart race and to do it anyway. And it got better and continues to get better, and I applaud myself for that every day.

What advice would you offer up and coming artists that get discouraged other than don't give up?

I would tell them to remember why they wanted to do this in the first place and to reconnect to that feeling. I would also tell them to celebrate all the success of fellow artists and to see their accomplishments as evidence that great things can happen, instead of falling into the "why them and not me" trap. And not to listen to people who like to complain about how 'hard' it is to be an artist. Being an artist is awesome, and would you really want to be anything else?

Tell us something you want the music world to know about you.

We're going on tour to Ohio in June, so come out and see us, we love meeting new people! Also, we would love to hook up with other artists to play shows with, feel free to get in touch.

What have you gotten out of being a member of the GoGirls community?

Some great opportunities and encouragement.

More about Eleanor and The Whispering Tree at:
http://www.thewhisperingtree.com/
http://www.myspace.com/thewhisperingtree
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Whispering-Tree/21842594861
http://twitter.com/whisperingtree

Copyright © 2010 Madalyn Sklar/GoGirlsMusic.com

Madalyn Sklar is a music business coach & consultant, blogger, social networks expert and author. She has spent over 14 years helping independent musicians and music business professionals achieve greater success in the biz. Her motto is: working smarter not harder. She also founded GoGirlsMusic.com, the oldest + largest online community of indie women musicians.

You can reach Madalyn at MadalynSklar.com or madalynsklar AT gmail.com

SUBSCRIBE

WHO IS MADALYN SKLAR?


    Madalyn Sklar is a music business coach & consultant, blogger, social networks expert and author. She has spent over 15 years helping independent musicians and music business professionals achieve greater success. Her motto is: working smarter not harder. She also founded GoGirlsMusic.com, the oldest + largest online community of indie women musicians.

    Madalyn's Sites:
    * GoGirlsMusic.com
    * Social Networks for Musicians
    contact: madalynsklar(at)gmail.com

         

    Get interviewed on this blog for just $50

    HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

    Learn it all.

    HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

    Check out my YouTube video:

    www.flickr.com
    GoGirlsMusic.com's items Go to Madalyn's photostream

REPRINT ARTICLES

    Click here if you would like to post articles and information from this blog to your blog or web site.

Previous posts

BLOGS I READ:

Madalyn's Blog
P.O. Box 16940
Sugar Land, TX 77496-6940

Copyright © 2000-2009 Madalyn's Music Biz Blog. All rights reserved.

This blog is designed to provide reliable information regarding the subject matter covered.
The authors disclaim any liability that incurs from the use of any information contained in this blog.