« Home | ASCAP Expo 2010 Highlights » | My interview with WeDontNeedNoStinkingRecordCompan... » | Twitter Wow! » | 7 Ways to Boost Your Business, or How to Ask to Ge... » | GoGirls Interview with Inky Glass » | Myspace Is (Still) Not Dead and Facebook Rocks! » | "Invasion of the GoGirls" During SXSW Weekend » | GoGirls Interview with Kimbo » | Win A Daisy Rock Guitar! » | GoGirls Interview with Lisa Brigantino » 

Saturday, May 01, 2010 

GoGirls Interview with Deborah E

by Madalyn Sklar

What drives your music? When did you first know you had to do this thing called music or bust?

The heart and soul of life itself drives my music.

When I was a little girl, I used to grab anything that looked like a microphone and sing and sing and sing. I would make up songs - anything to entertain. I would hand out tickets to come to my shows in our living room with the theatre drapes. My brother says I would rake leaves for 3 minutes and go play the piano and sing for 10 minutes. Hey, I had another concept for a song!

Describe your music style and name three musicians you have been inspired by and why.

My current music style is Jazz, however, my musical taste buds travel the gamut.

It is hard to pick three musicians. I grew up listening to the Standards and watching Lawrence Welk on Saturday Nights, but would sneak in and watch Soul Train on the TV. My Barbies knew all the moves while I sang.

What's your ideal venue atmosphere?

You know, I loved watching “I Love Lucy,” growing up. Not sure if I would say that that is the “ideal” venue atmosphere, but I would love to perform at Ricky Ricardo’s Club. Add Bing Crosby’s “Holiday Inn” atmosphere and a TV variety show with Michael Bublé and I can retire .

Describe how your music career has evolved since you first started performing.

I think my music career has evolved in the same way as my life. The more I learn, the more I realize there is to learn. The more I give, the more I realize that I have to give. The more talent I find in myself, the more talent I find in others.

How would you describe the music scene in your area?

Diversified. This is a wonderful place to live. There are so many different styles and musical tastes. One’s palette never tires of the diversification.

What was the inspiration for your latest release?

Listening to Ella Fitzgerald. She exudes the emotion of whichever song she is singing at that time. Even if she forgets the words, she draws the listener in and never fails to please the ear, and leave one wanting more.

What do you think is number one for a musician to think about before preparing for a CD project and do you have any tips on saving time in the studio?Remember WHY you are doing what you are doing. If you think it is only for money, think again. If you think it is only for fame, think again. If you desire to share this thing called music welling up inside of you – Go for it!

We saved some time in the studio by recording demo versions of the songs on our own studio. Then, we listened to the demo versions, especially via the iPod in the car, over and over and over. We went back into the studio, recording another demo version, implementing changes from the feedback from the first demo and so on and so on. This saved us days in the studio because we had the opportunity to hear different theories on how to approach the songs. That, and of course, playing the songs at live gigs.

What makes or breaks a musician just starting out in your opinion?

Attitude. If you think too highly of yourself, look around and think again. If you think too lowly of yourself, take a deep breath, pull yourself up, and think again.

Describe your toughest moments in your quest for a music career and tell us how you overcame them.

Listening to a couple “naysayers” was probably the hardest obstacle to overcome.

Years ago, my guy told me that he would leave me if I ever made it big in music. I decided that he was more important to me than music (I was young!) and I hung up the music dream for good. Years later, I dumped him, but was so used to leaving music on the hook, that I left music there, until my new guy, wonderful husband, Michael, bought me a Yamaha S90ES.

I told him I didn’t need another keyboard and besides, keyboards do not replace real pianos, but… there was just something about this keyboard. I felt like Rip Van Winkle coming alive after decades of slumber. The music stirred and came alive. Now, there is no putting in on the hook again. It is what flows through my veins.

It is my legacy to my children, my gift to those I love.

What advice would you offer up and coming artists that get discouraged other than don't give up?

It sounds cliché, but don’t give up! No matter what people say, do not give up.

Remember why you are doing this. Like I’ve said before, if you do it for the money, money will eventually disappoint you. If you do it for fame or power, fame will fleet away when you are no longer the flavor of the day.

If you do it for the music and the love of music, you will love what you do and that will see you through, even those dark moments. Pick up your art, feel it reverberate through your being and enjoy. Don’t forgot that joy that leads you to the music!
Tell us something you want the music world to know about you.

Ahhhh. If you see me on stage, you would not think me shy. Well, for that matter, those that know me, know I am not shy. I am a red personality, outgoing, grabbing life by the horns, but, at times, rather private. Sometimes I forget that others may want to care as much as I care for them. It is easy to reach out and help others. It is also easy to be a Prima Donna at times, too. What is a little tricky is being understood when you are a bit complicated, mixture of science and art.

What have you gotten out of being a member of the GoGirls community?

GoGirls is so supportive. This is my first year and I am so looking forward to getting more involved as time goes on. I love that there are different musicians coming together from different regions, from different musical genres, and different perspectives, making a difference, and like Madalyn says, ‘Cuz Chicks Rock!

Web Sites:
Artist Web Site: http://www.deborah.info/
Blog: http://www.scatnstyle.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/deborahinfo
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/deborahinfo
ReverbNation http://www.reverbnation.com/deborahe
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/deborahinfo
YouTube http://www.youtube.com/deborahinfo
Jango Internet Radio http://www.jango.com/music/Deborah+E?l=0
LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/in/deborahinfo
TJNW http://www.thejazznetworkworldwide.com/profile/DeborahE
All About Jazz http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=19138

Copyright © 2010 GoGirlsMusic.com

Madalyn Sklar is a music business coach & consultant, blogger, social networks expert and author. She has spent over 14 years helping independent musicians and music business professionals achieve greater success in the biz. Her motto is: working smarter not harder. She also founded GoGirlsMusic.com, the oldest + largest online community of indie women musicians.

You can reach Madalyn at MadalynSklar.com or madalynsklar AT gmail.com

SUBSCRIBE

WHO IS MADALYN SKLAR?


    Madalyn Sklar is a music business coach & consultant, blogger, social networks expert and author. She has spent over 15 years helping independent musicians and music business professionals achieve greater success. Her motto is: working smarter not harder. She also founded GoGirlsMusic.com, the oldest + largest online community of indie women musicians.

    Madalyn's Sites:
    * GoGirlsMusic.com
    * Social Networks for Musicians
    contact: madalynsklar(at)gmail.com

         

    Get interviewed on this blog for just $50

    HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

    Learn it all.

    HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

    Check out my YouTube video:

    www.flickr.com
    GoGirlsMusic.com's items Go to Madalyn's photostream

REPRINT ARTICLES

    Click here if you would like to post articles and information from this blog to your blog or web site.

Previous posts

BLOGS I READ:

Madalyn's Blog
P.O. Box 16940
Sugar Land, TX 77496-6940

Copyright © 2000-2009 Madalyn's Music Biz Blog. All rights reserved.

This blog is designed to provide reliable information regarding the subject matter covered.
The authors disclaim any liability that incurs from the use of any information contained in this blog.