« Home | So You Wanna be in a Rock Band? » | GoGirls Interview With Linq » | How We Got Over 14,000 Downloads In 48 Hours » | Do You Really Think Being A Copycat Will Get You Far? » | I'm back from NYC... » | Get Into the Rhythm: 50 Open Courseware Collection... » | Check out Crystal Clear... we did! » | Facebook Reaches 120 Million Users » | Tish Meeks Named Director of Operations for Social... » | Giveaway @ GoGirls: Bandzoogle Standard Website ac... » 

Friday, December 12, 2008 

The Power of Social Networks (SocNets)... Or How I Found A New Assistant Via Facebook!

by Madalyn Sklar



I love Social Networks, or as my Tech Director Amy Devon at Social Networks for Musicians calls it - SocNets. Yep, we are so cutting edge that my team member has developed a new abbreviation for it. I love it!

So for the past two months I've been thinking about how I need an assistant. I could really use some help with emails and basic day-to-day activities over at GoGirlsMusic.com, the organization I founded 12 years ago. So Tuesday I ventured out on Facebook thinking this would be a great place to start my search.

I first posted my status with this:


I then realized I should probably send out more info about what I was looking for. So I went to the GoGirls "group" page at Facebook and posting the following:


This proved to be very effective. In less than 2 hours I received 12 messages from qualified candidates. Wow! Word got out and within a few more hours I received several text messages, emails and instant messages about this position. I started thinking about the true power of Social Networks - oh, I mean SocNets. :-)

Seemed every time I went into my Facebook inbox there were more messages. People were very interested in the position but what fascinated me more was that Facebook did the work for me. I didn't have to go place an ad on a job board. How old school! I spent probably no more than a few minutes doing this and it paid off immediately. Yes, immediately. My first response was 10 minutes after the posting. Wow!

My inbox was filled with message after message after message...



It's just like the time a few months ago when I Twittered that I was looking for volunteers to manage the GoGirls SocNets - Myspace, ReverbNation, Ning, etc. I have Twitter set up to automatically post as my Facebook status. Sure enough, I received messages from friends on Facebook interested in the positions.

The power of Social Networks is at your fingertips. Get creative and find ways to use it to its potential!

You know, I've been advocating the power of SocNets for years. It's amazing how it's now become such a big part of our every day life. We make friends on Myspace and Facebook. We Twitter and Blog so people know what we are doing and what we think. We listen to music on ReverbNation and OurStage. Videos on YouTube. Photos on Flickr. I could go on and on.

So tell me YOUR stories about how SocNets have helped you. Whether it's re-connecting with old friends, making new ones or getting people to buy your music and come out to your shows. It's fascinating. I'm listening...

Copyright © 2008 Madalyn Sklar, IndieMusicCoach.com

Madalyn Sklar is a music business coach & consultant, blogger, social networks expert and author. She has spent over 12 years helping independent musicians and music business professionals achieve greater success. Her motto is: working smarter not harder. She also founded GoGirlsMusic.com, the oldest + largest online community of indie women musicians.

Madalyn's Sites:
http://www.indiemusiccoach.com
http://www.gogirlsmusic.com
http://www.socialnetworksformusicians.com

Labels: , ,

SUBSCRIBE

WHO IS MADALYN SKLAR?


    Madalyn Sklar is a music business coach & consultant, blogger, social networks expert and author. She has spent over 15 years helping independent musicians and music business professionals achieve greater success. Her motto is: working smarter not harder. She also founded GoGirlsMusic.com, the oldest + largest online community of indie women musicians.

    Madalyn's Sites:
    * GoGirlsMusic.com
    * Social Networks for Musicians
    contact: madalynsklar(at)gmail.com

         

    Get interviewed on this blog for just $50

    HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

    Learn it all.

    HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

    Check out my YouTube video:

    www.flickr.com
    GoGirlsMusic.com's items Go to Madalyn's photostream

REPRINT ARTICLES

    Click here if you would like to post articles and information from this blog to your blog or web site.

Previous posts

BLOGS I READ:

Madalyn's Blog
P.O. Box 16940
Sugar Land, TX 77496-6940

Copyright © 2000-2009 Madalyn's Music Biz Blog. All rights reserved.

This blog is designed to provide reliable information regarding the subject matter covered.
The authors disclaim any liability that incurs from the use of any information contained in this blog.