« Home | AOL to Buy Bebo for $850 Million » | New blog to check out... » | Need Myspace Promo Help?? » | The Musician's Atlas - Get 35% off! » | You have the power... » | Let us help you promote on Myspace! » | Motivation for Musicians - today's text message » | Moonlight Mastering offers a pre-SXSW mastering sp... » | Myspace Marketing for Musicians - TIPS » | Get motivated with Madalyn Sklar's DVD » 

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 

Why I love SXSW...

I've been going to SXSW every year since 1998. Ten years now and I love it. Why wouldn't I go? I mean c'mon I only live 3 hours away. When I'm coaching musicians we talk about why music conferences and the networking that goes on is so important. And why wouldn't you want to go to the largest music conference in the US?

A long time ago I tried getting onto the SXSW bandwagon with an official GoGirls showcase. No luck.

Then something interesting happened...

In 2001 I hosted our first "unofficial" event at Gaby & Mo's. It was an amazing night. The energy was infectious. The talent was incredible. And interestingly you didn't hear about anything other than "official" SXSW shows. I felt like we were onto a new trend here. Times were going to change. Why not provide opportunity to talented musicians who didn't make the SXSW cut.



Echoset (formerly known as Shade)

Elizabeth White






Doria Roberts

Ginger & Sarah Band



For years people would say to me, "why would I go if I don't get an official showcase?" I say why not! I know, SXSW is terribly expensive and so corporate. So what! Now there are just as many "unofficial" showcases as there are official. It's about finding (and sometimes creating) opportunities.

In 2002 I was ready to step this up and host 3 GoGirls showcases. And I got the crazy idea to host a "2 song" night which has now become an annual event for us during SXSW. Basically everyone plays 2 songs with backline provided. You get 10 minutes on stage with 5 minutes between acts. It has proven to be one our most fun and successful nights! We typically get more fans and music industry people out for this.

Over the years we've had some amazing talent grace our stages!

2004:





2005:






2006:


2007:


2008:
The A-List: Invasion of the GoGirls at Trophy's, 03.14.08

Rock on,
Madalyn Sklar
IndieMusicCoach.com
~providing one-on-one indie music consulting & coaching~
http://www.indiemusiccoach.com

Labels: ,

SUBSCRIBE

WHO IS MADALYN SKLAR?


    Madalyn Sklar is a music business coach & consultant, blogger, social networks expert and author. She has spent over 15 years helping independent musicians and music business professionals achieve greater success. Her motto is: working smarter not harder. She also founded GoGirlsMusic.com, the oldest + largest online community of indie women musicians.

    Madalyn's Sites:
    * GoGirlsMusic.com
    * Social Networks for Musicians
    contact: madalynsklar(at)gmail.com

         

    Get interviewed on this blog for just $50

    HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

    Learn it all.

    HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

    Check out my YouTube video:

    www.flickr.com
    GoGirlsMusic.com's items Go to Madalyn's photostream

REPRINT ARTICLES

    Click here if you would like to post articles and information from this blog to your blog or web site.

Previous posts

BLOGS I READ:

Madalyn's Blog
P.O. Box 16940
Sugar Land, TX 77496-6940

Copyright © 2000-2009 Madalyn's Music Biz Blog. All rights reserved.

This blog is designed to provide reliable information regarding the subject matter covered.
The authors disclaim any liability that incurs from the use of any information contained in this blog.